Beginnings

This course is almost entirely inquiry-based; our assignments are then catered to our unique interests. In this way, I’m able to focus on subjects I’ve always been drawn to; I can explore them in the way I have always wanted to, but could never justify the time required to do so. For a long time, I’ve been deep in the work/school spiral. Free-time is a luxury. I usually spend it asleep, trying to avoid my next stint of bronchitis. So now that I have the option to study something just for me, I’m going to do it right.

I’ve settled on learning how to properly read tarot. I feel dramatic just typing that (in true irony, I’m currently writing this in a church). It is a study that raises opinion: interest, fear, a dismissive eye-roll. Still, I am unapologetic in my fascination and excited to see where it takes me.

Tarot

In regards to my tech-based inquiry, things are a little less certain. I’m a language arts lover so I’m naturally drawn to the idea of digital storytelling in the classroom. More specifically, I’m curious as to how it may be able to make poetry a more accessible form of writing. Gone are the elitist days of tall-hatted men meeting in parlours and defining poetry for the world. Though still a dreaded subject for many, poetry has reached new popularity for teens with the emergence of YA focussed collections, a bustling spoken-word community, and the uber-popular bestseller, Rupi Kaur.

Always Stand With the Oppressed People of the World

With this being said, I’m interested in tapping into this interest through technology with programs such as poetry generators and online magnetic poetry. Somehow, I hope to find a way to make poetry fun. Is it an impossible task? Maybe. I’ll find out soon enough.